Find Us on Facebook Contact Us Search

McKinney-Vento Act

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, a home without water or electricity, or other inadequate space
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you can’t find or afford your own place

Then your children have certain rights and protections under the McKinney-Vento Assistance Act.

Your children have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have been there
  • Continue in the school they started in before you became homeless if that is your choice and in the best interest of your child
  • Be transported to the school they started in before you became homeless or last attended if you request such transportation
  • Attend and participate in all school programs with students who are not homeless
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency or delay enrollment
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for transfer of records or other documents needed for enrollment
  • Enroll and attend classes even while you and the school are involved in a dispute over enrollment
  • Receive the same special programs and services provided to all other children enrolled in the school
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs

When you move, you should:

  1. Contact the school’s local homeless education contact (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or to remain in the current or previous school.
  2. Ask the local homeless education contact for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.
  3. Contact the school and provide any information you think would help the teachers work with your child to adjust to new circumstances. If you have lost your home due to a hardship to you or your family and are now living in temporary or inadequate housing (a shelter, motel, camper, on the street, doubled-up with relatives or friends or in any other type of inadequate housing), your child may be able to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney-Vento Act.

    Local contact: Evelyn See - (520) 822-9418
    State coordinator: Rita Rodriguez - (602) 542-4963

    If you need further assistance, call the National Center for Homeless Education at (800) 308-2145 or email them.